Friday, November 28, 2008

Tradition and Inspiration


Frida, the Sock Monkey
Originally uploaded by unraveled
As a young girl, I would watch my mother working her magic on her sewing machine. She loved all kinds of crafts, but her favorite was making quilts and blankets. She is still making blankets and I think this love of sewing is something that she inherited from my grandmother. Every year for Christmas, my grandmother would give each grandchild one of her patchwork quilts. I still have those quilts to this day. They are the only blankets I own and use and whenever the cold settles in, I crawl into the warmth and nostalgia that they provide.

I have always been creative, but I never did quite learn how to sew those beautiful quilts and blankets that my mother and grandmother were so proud to show off. I've always used my words as a way to express myself, though lately, I find myself wanting to learn how to sew and carry on the tradition. I don't know if it is because I've been feeling very motherly lately, what with my 19-month-old son running around and his little sister growing in my tummy. I just feel like making them something that comes from my heart, something that will hopefully give them the same feelings that I have when I think about my grandmother's quilts.

Lately, my writing has waned because of my short attention span, I suppose. I discovered the book Stray Sock Sewing a few months ago because I needed something fun and creative do. I don't feel complete unless I am doing something creative: writing, painting, scrap booking, anything that keeps my hands busy. I think it's safe to say that creating creatures out of socks has become an obsession of mine lately. Everyone says that I should think about selling them and I've received a few offers from people to buy some of my sock monkeys, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make a business out of it. For now I am taking my time, learning the craft, learning how to sew, and just having fun with it! This blog will serve as a way of charting my progress through the colorful and fun world of sock creatures.

No comments: