Friday, November 28, 2008

The Holidays

As I was trying to set up this blog a little while ago, I realized that I miss my old passion for blog keeping and graphic design. I used to be able to sit in front of a computer for hours working on numerous digital art projects and my old website (becoming-visible.net). I realized that I don't really have a space to call my own anymore, and maybe this can be a haven of some sort for me.

Yesterday was a hectic holiday, as most holidays usually are for us. Ever since we had our son, it seems that the holidays are even more stressful what with having to travel to three or four different houses. I was feeling under the weather so that only added to the frustration of the day but we did manage to sit down with our families and eat some delicious food. Last year I was on a diet and didn't get to eat much of the Thanksgiving goodies, but this year I went full force and blamed it on the little one in my tummy. I'm sure she was having a great time in there!

On the last stop of the day, Andres showed off one of my sock monkeys to his family members. One of his aunts is a professional seamstress and she said she was "amazed" that I could sew so well, after teaching myself for the past couple of months. I took that as a huge compliment. Everyone kept telling me how great my sock monkey was and that I should sell them. I keep hearing this but I think I have a lack of faith in myself. Plus, I get so attached to the little creations that I make that it would hurt me to part with them. Andres said that can only be considered a good thing, that I put so much love and care into each of them that they almost become a part of me. I still want to get better, and learn more sewing techniques though.

Sock Monkey in Progress
Originally uploaded by unraveled
I'm currently working on a neon green monkey for someone at my best friend's job. He's coming along rather nicely. I just wish I could find the time to work on him non-stop, but that isn't possible with a wild 19-month-old running around. He's down for a nap now, so I better start working on finishing this monkey up while I do have some peace and quiet!

No comments: